House Contents Valuers | Deceased Checklist Of Needed Docs

Certain documents and paperwork are required for informing people and organisations about the death. You will also need the various documents to apply for probate.

UK Probate Valuations Service. We provide guaranteed house contents valuations for probate.

I.T.G specialize in valuing personal house contents possessions, we provide clear and accurate probate valuation & IHT valuations reports of house contents (Chattels) in accordance with HM Revenue and Customs guidelines.

I.T.G. probate or confirmation valuation provides a range of services to assist in the winding up of an estate. We provide our services to private individuals, solicitors, executors & administrators across the UK. Our aim is to make probate valuation as stress free as possible.

For executors who are not familiar with probate valuations and the process of obtaining probate, we have compiled a list of Probate Valuation FAQs | Probate Valuation Customer Comments | Probate Valuation FAQs | Probate Valuation Guarantee

Documents needed immediately after death:

These documents need to be gathered as soon as possible – to enable registration of death and prepare funeral arrangements.

Medical certificate of the cause of death (signed by a doctor)
Birth certificate
Marriage/civil partnership certificate
NHS number/NHS card


Full name of the deceased person at the time of death
Any previous names, including maiden name
The deceased’s date and place of birth (town and county if born in the UK, country if born abroad)
Their last address
Their occupation
Date of marriage/civil partnership if certificate not available
Full name, occupation and date of birth of surviving spouse or partner
Whether the deceased received state pension or other state benefits

Other information

Organ donor card (if applicable)

Documents needed to notify benefits/tax offices:

Correspondence confirming payment to the deceased of benefits (Jobcentre plus)
Tax Credits (HM Revenue and Customs)
State Pension (Department of Work and Pensions)
Child benefit number (if relevant)

Documents relating to a partner or relative:

Proof of your relationship with the deceased (marriage/civil partnership certificate, child’s birth certificate naming both parents)
Social security card/NI number if you will be claiming or changing benefits

Documents required by the executor/administrator of the deceased’s affairs:

The executor/administrator (also known as ‘personal representative’) is the person formally responsible for dealing with the deceased person’s estate, paying any taxes/debts and distributing the estate.

Documents required by the personal representative:

Sealed copies of the grant of representation (probate/letters of administration)

Documents relating to the death:

Death certificate (often required by banks to access the funds, it’s best to order at least two extra certified copies when registering the death)
The will (if there is one)

Savings/investment related paperwork:

Bank and building society account statements
Investment statements/share certificates
Personal or company pension account statements

Insurance documents:

Life insurance policies (including mortgage cover)
General insurance policies (home, car, travel, medical etc.)

State pension/benefits:

Relevant correspondence or statements from Jobcenter Plus (for benefits) and/or The Pension service

Amounts owed by the deceased:

Mortgage statements
Credit card statements
Council tax/utility bills in the deceased’s name
Rental agreements/statements (private agent or local authority)
Other outstanding bills
Leases, hire purchase agreements or similar (e.g. furniture, car, garden equipment)
Education loan statements

Amounts owed to the deceased:

Outstanding invoices if the deceased ran a business
Written/verbal evidence of other money owed to the deceased


Keys to the property of the deceased
Deeds or leases for any property owned, if the property is registered, you can obtain copies from the Land Registry

Other possessions:

Existing valuations of physical property such as antiques, jewellery, paintings etc. (an up-to-date market valuation will be required)
Any existing inventories of property/possessions
Safety deposit box access information

Employment or self employment:

P60 form and latest payment slips if the deceased was employed
Recent tax returns and tax calculation statements (if applicable)

Business related:

Company registration documents, accounts, tax and VAT returns for owned business.

Contact information and other documents

The following documents are required by the personal representative to contact relatives and friends, as well as return documents to the appropriate organisations.

Address/phone book, listing close friends and relatives of the deceased
Driving licence/parking permits/travel cards/blue badge (if applicable)
Vehicle registration documents (if applicable)
Membership cards or correspondence showing membership of clubs, associations, trade unions or similar

Similar Posts:

House Contents Valuations | If There Is No Will
House Contents Valuer | Deceased Person’s Assets
Call Now ButtonCall Us